Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Feed Me Seymour Feed Me, RSS...


I've been blogging off and on for almost five years now and this week is the first time I have added an RSS feed to any of my blogs. Can't give you a good reason for mot doing this before as I have used readers off and on in the past to read other blogs. I just have never set up a feed for my own before.

I opted to try two different RSS feeders Feed Burner and Feedspot. At this point, I'm not sure which I prefer and want to try them both for a while until I decide which I like best. Who knows I could end up dumping them both and going with a third choice, only time will tell.

As I was using Symbaloo to bookmark some web resources to I discovered that you can use Symbaloo for RSS feeds. I don't know if this is new or if you have always been able to do this and I just noticed it today because I have been reading and working with RSS feeds recently. It is not a reader but it is a way to collect the feeds and me kind of like it. Personally, I don't like have to look at a reader with new posts on it. I prefer the layout of Symbaloo and seeing at a glance which blogs have updates and then I can choose to click through to the blog or not.


So far Feedspot is an okay reader. It is easy to use and I was able to get a premium account for a year so I will continue to give it a go for at least a couple months.

For both students and teachers, RSS feeds and readers are a way to help organize resources. In a class that blogs, a teacher can follow student blogs via their RSS feeds which help the teacher stay on top of updates. By using RSS feeds students can keep track of updates on sites used in class as well without having to click on multiple sites to check for updates.


No comments:

Post a Comment